No. Some building works fall within the definitions of “Exempt” or “Complying Development”, as defined within a number of State Environmental Planning Policies. Exempt Development requires no approval from any authority. Complying Development is a fast-track approval which can be assessed by a private Accredited Certifier, who has the same authority as Council for Complying Development assessment. New Dwellings, Additions & Alterations, Granny Flats and Swimming Pools are common examples of developments that may only require a Complying Development Certificate.