Changes to Development Rules surrounding pools and proximity to overhead power lines

There have been some recent changes in the guidelines for pool installation, particularly in front yards, with respect to their proximity to overhead power lines. These changes come as a result of the growing trend of pool installations in front yards, which has prompted a re-evaluation of the safety measures in place.

Changes to Development Rules surrounding pools and proximity to overhead power lines2023-08-22T16:06:02+10:00

BCA Update – NCC 2022 Has Commenced

The National Construction Code (NCC) 2022 is due to commence May 1st, 2023, which will supersede the current NCC 2019. The NCC 2022 will apply to all Construction Certificate and Complying Development Certificates Applications lodged after this date. Find out more about the changes here.

BCA Update – NCC 2022 Has Commenced2023-05-02T15:45:05+10:00

Legislative Changes for Classes 3 and 9c Buildings

The NSW Government has expanded its regulations to include Classes 3 and 9c buildings under the Design and Building Practitioners Act 2020 (DBP) and the Residential Apartment Buildings (Compliance and Enforcement Powers) Act 2020 (RAB). Find out more about the changes here.

Legislative Changes for Classes 3 and 9c Buildings2023-06-30T08:30:38+10:00

Building Certifiers and the Building Certification Process

Building certification involves assessing and approving construction projects to ensure they comply with relevant codes and regulations. Building certifiers play a pivotal role by independently reviewing plans, conducting inspections, and issuing certificates of compliance. They help ensure construction projects are safe, sustainable, and adhere to legal standards, promoting public safety and quality construction outcomes.

Building Certifiers and the Building Certification Process2023-08-17T10:25:48+10:00

What is a Complying Development Certificate?

A Complying Development Certificate (CDC) is a combined planning and construction approval for straightforward developments. A CDC can be approved when a proposed development complies with pre-determined development standards set under State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPP). This process allows a fast-track assessment by a certifying authority, which may be either Council or an Accredited Certifier. The purpose of this certificate is to receive assurance that the building works will comply with all relevant legislation and building standards.

What is a Complying Development Certificate?2023-11-22T11:19:59+11:00

What is Exempt Development?

Exempt Development was introduced to NSW in 1993 and allows certain low-impact forms of development to be undertaken without going through the rigorous approvals process. In recent years, the Department of Planning has attempted to promote awareness of exempt development; both exempt development and the similar streamlined-approval process of Complying Development are seen as tools to reduce the demands of numerous development applications. Exempt development is governed by the SEPP, which lists the different forms of exempt development and the specific requirements of each.

What is Exempt Development?2020-11-27T12:28:56+11:00

What is the Long Service levy?

If you live in New South Wales and have been involved with a building and construction project costing more than $25,000, then you may be familiar with the Long Service levy. Those who are unfamiliar with the levy are often unsure of why the levy exists, whether they are required to pay it or not, and how much it costs. This guide should answer most of your questions about the Long Service levy and will provide you with links to official resources where you can find further information.

What is the Long Service levy?2023-01-10T14:45:35+11:00

What is a Development Application?

A Development Application (DA) is a formal application submitted to your local consent authority (Council) for permission to carry out a new development. This could be as simple as building a new pool and deck, tree removal, constructing a garage or carport in your home, or adding additional rooms to your existing home. More complex projects that require a DA approval may include things such as dual occupancy and multi dwelling developments, subdivision, residential flat buildings, or a change of use for a commercial premise.

What is a Development Application?2020-11-03T13:48:31+11:00

My project needs building approval. What should I do next?

All residential building work involving a new home or a renovation to a new home requires a building approval. A building approval must be obtained before any building work can start. Getting building approval normally involves plans and details being given to council, or a private building survey. The information provided generally includes a detailed plan of how the home will be built, the technical details of the construction (including all the materials to be used), and which Building Code of Australia requirements (BCA) will need to be met.

My project needs building approval. What should I do next?2020-11-06T14:26:17+11:00

Granny Flat Legislation in New South Wales

The introduction of new development reforms to create more affordable housing and investment opportunities across NSW has renewed interest in secondary dwellings, commonly known as granny flats. You will require building approval for your secondary dwelling project where there are two ways to gain this approval. You can lodge a full Development Application (DA) with your local council which is a process that can generally take a number of months. A Construction Certificate (CC) can then be issued by Council or a Private Certifier before construction can commence.

Granny Flat Legislation in New South Wales2022-11-28T16:09:15+11:00
Go to Top